Using your residual waste as fuel, fossile energy sources are more preserved.
The combustion of household waste (3 furnaces @ 19t/h each) produces steam. Up until January 2016, the steam was sent exclusively to 3 turbines to produce enough electricity to cover the annual needs of 65,000 households in Brussels.
Since January 2016, a heating network has been put in service.
Heating network advantages
With 1 ton of waste, we can produce:
- 500 kWhe electricity or
- 2 000 kWhth heat
The energy efficiency of a plant:
- producing electricity varies between 25 and 55%
- producing heat varies between 85 and 95%
Environmental impact of the heating network
Annual objectives with a maximum capacity of 20 MW:
- 30 000 000 kWh of avoided energy consumption (gas, fuel,...)
- 10 000 tons of avoided CO2
- Less pollution (fine particles of individual boilers)
Economic impact of the heating network
- Positive economic balance for consumers
- Increased safety (fire, gas leaks,...)
- No chimney smaller equipment room
- Shorter transport distance of energy
Heating network beneficiaries
Today, the heating network has been feeding the Docks mall and local SMEs since October 2016. The greenhouses of the Royal Domain will be connected in mid-2020.